I hope you’ll agree with me when I say:
Life is not possible today without good headphones. Or is it?
Well, there is only ONE problem. Finding “Good” headphones isn’t an easy job.
That is why we have created a list of Best Over Ear Headphones of 2018. After researching online and spending hours in testing these headphones, I have shortlisted the top 10 over ear headphones which you can buy right now.
Best Over Ear Headphones of 2018:
When buying a headphone these days people typically debate the style of headphone they want (in-ear, on-ear, around-ear) whether to go wired or wireless (or even totally wireless) and whether to opt for such extra features as active noise-cancellation to help muffle ambient noise. Oh, and then there’s price. Everybody has a budget.
Some of these headphones are not for everyone because some carry a hefty price-tag.
Sony’s new WH-1000XM2 wireless active noise-canceling (ANC) headphones are among the best noise-canceling headphones available in the market. This is the new enhanced version, the WH-1000XM2.
Priced at $350, these are available in two colors: Black and Gold. They are so well built and packed with lots of cool and useful features.
Although the touchpad is not a new feature but it is worth mentioning since Bose does not have this feature. Swipe up or down to control the volume, right or left to change music. You can even press long to activate Siri. Double tap to stop music or take a phone call.
Features of Sony Noise Cancelling Over Ear Wireless Bluetooth Headphones:
- Digital noise cancellation: Industry leading noise canceling eliminates distracting background noise
- Smart listening: Detects your activity to automatically adjust the ambient sounds you hear
- High quality wireless audio with LDAC
- 40 mm HD driver unit for dynamic range
- Aluminium-coated LCP diaphragm minimises distortion
- Touch control: Skip a track, change the volume and take or make calls just by touching a headphone
- High-Resolution Audio compatible
- QUICK CHARGE BATTERY: Enjoy up to 30hrs with wireless NC and 10min quick charging for 70min of play
- Both Wired and Wireless: Go hands-free or plug in your headset while streaming with noise cancellation
- Voice Assistant: Activate your phones voice assistant with a simple touch on the right ear cup.
Sony I Headphones Connect for Android or iOS: Download the Android or iOS app to use Smart Listening by Smart Auto-settings, control your ambient sound settings and adjust the sound levels with the Equalizer.
Here is what the connect app can do when connected via Bluetooth:
- Great battery life of up to 38 hours
- Soft synthetic leather on the housing and earpads
- Truly authentic sound and Ambient Sound mode (Voice and Normal mode)
- Quick Attention mode
- Personal NC Optimiser
- Both wired and wireless
- Best in industry Digital noise cancellation
The only problem with these is that you cannot use them while they are on charging.
If you’re looking for a premium sound experience that offers a rock-steady connection, no latency issues and extended range, the Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphone System is a great choice.
Introduced at CES, the $270 Sennheiser RS-175 sounds great, offers a very broad array of TV connection options and has an excellent 300 ft signal transmission distance.
The Sennheiser RS-175 base transmitter unit can connect to the ‘Audio Output’ from your TV via a digital Toslink/Optical cable, analog mini [1/8″] cable or a ‘mini to RCA’ interconnect cable. The RS175 covers the full gamut of potential connection options and works with the widest array of televisions.
Features of Sennheiser RS 175 RF Wireless Headphone System:
- High-quality digital sound improves speech and dialogue clarity for TV or movies
- Closed-back earcup provides moderate noise isolation and minimizes sound ‘leakage’ from the headphones
- Full-size earcup design for maximum wearing comfort
- Bass Boost and Surround Sound features enhance film sound effects
- Connects to your TV via either analog or digital (optical) method
- Transmitter base unit doubles as charging stand for headphones
- Up to 18 hours of playtime per charge
- Can be used with 2 headphones simultaneously
- Wireless range of up to 328 feet (100 meters)
- Powerful wireless audio output
- Digital and analog inputs
- Excellent digital wireless audio transmission delivering range up to 328ft/100m (line of sight)
- Easy to use controls
- Bass boost and surround sound listening modes
- Rechargeable batteries
- Compatible with any audio or video device that has an optical digital or analog audio output
- Only for home use
- Headphones are little heavy
The SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphone II is very comfortable to wear, sounds excellent for a Bluetooth headphone, and offers a very good battery life of around 15 hours.
Although these are not for those who like their music loud and bass-heavy.
But Bose new SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphone II, which comes in black or white for $280 works well as a headset for phone calls, its buttons are easy to operate by feel, and a nice carrying case is included.
Features of Bose SoundLink around-ear wireless headphones II:
Rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 15 hours of talk and playback time
Around-ear design provides comfort during long listening sessions
Bose® technology delivers your music with deep, immersive sound
Bluetooth connectivity allows you to pair up to 2 Bluetooth-enabled devices simultaneously
Microphone with HD Voice, along with enhanced sidetone ensures clear, natural-sounding calls in windy or noisy settings
Enhanced EQ offers quality sound, even at low volumes
Carrying case for easy portability and storage
Exclusive technologies deliver a better wireless experience which starts with what you hear. With a combination of TriPort technology and Active EQ, SoundLink® wireless headphones deliver crisp, powerful sound at any volume.
Low volume: Listening hands-free at work? Get consistent performance at lower volumes.
High volume: Turning it up for your commute? Your music gets deep, immersive sound when you want it loud.
These Mpow Bluetooth headphones are a very decent and moderately priced option for those who prefer traditional over-the-ear headphones versus earbuds. These headphones are stylish, portable and offer choice for both; wired connection as well as Bluetooth
Mpow Bluetooth headphones comes with a good control scheme and a long battery life of around 15 hours.
Now, these are not ideal headphones for working out or for blocking the noise of your commutes, but their sound quality and features are surprisingly decent for their price range.
Features of Mpow 059 Bluetooth Headphones:
The closed-back design provides immersive Hi-Fi sound with CSR chip and 40mm driver together.
The Memory-protein ear cushion simulates human skin texture, ensuring lasting comfort.
The stainless steel slider and softly padded headband allow you to find the perfect fit without constraint and provide excellent durability.
The wireless mode: A built-in 420mAh battery provides up to 13-hr music time/15-hr talking time in a single charge
The Wired mode: you can also use it as a wired headphone with the provided audio cable so the headphones will never power off.
The foldable Headband is not only designed for saving your desk space but for carrying in the provided bag.
These headphones are decently stable. They’re wireless so they won’t get yanked off your head because the audio cable got hooked on something. However, since they’re not too tight on the head they won’t be the ideal headphones for running or working out. They’re stable enough for casual listening sessions but the ear cups will sway a lot under physical activity.
The Oppo PM-3 combines true audiophile sound, classy style, noise isolation and portability into a pair of stylish lightweight Planar Magnetic headphones.
At just over 320 grams, the PM-3 is the lightest closed-back planar magnetic headphone in the world. Its elegant styling and exquisite workmanship make them a pleasure to wear, and its light weight and superb comfort make them easy to listen for hours on end.
Optimized for use with mobile devices, these headphones deliver high-fidelity sound and come with a nice carrying case as well as a bonus cable for cell-phone use (you choose between an Android or iOS inline remote).
Features of OPPO PM-3 Closed-Back Planar Magnetic Headphones:
- Unique Planar Magnetic Sound provides a sound signature that feels very natural and balanced, with plenty of emotion and impact
- Closed-back design for privacy and noise isolation
- FEM-optimized magnet system with very high energy Neodymium magnets is used to maximize sensitivity and consistency
- OPPO’s planar magnetic driver diaphragm has 7 layers of thin materials that provide excellent performance, reliability, and longevity
- Optimized for Mobile Use
- It folds flat and comes with a selvedge denim carrying case
- The PM-3 is shipped with a 3-meter main cable and a 1.2-meter portable cable. Users can choose the best suitable cable for their mobile devices.
Comfort is one of the Oppo PM-3’s real strong suits. The pads are very thick, and despite being synthetic the leather is soft, not tacky like cheaper kinds of fake stuff. And the way they distribute their weight and pressure is absolutely perfect. They don’t clamp too much, the headband doesn’t dig into your head. As a result you can wear these headphones all day without any ear ache. Unlike with on-ear headphones, that stands for glasses-wearers too.
The Phillips SHP9500 are a great choice for those who wants best budget headphones. They’re incredibly comfortable and have a sturdy yet lightweight build that feels durable.
They’re not casual headphones that can be used outdoors, but they deliver a good, well-balanced sound, on par with much pricier open-back models.
They have large open ear cups that fit well and deliver a comfortable listening experience. They feel durable and relatively lightweight for their size. One drawback of these headphones design is that ear pads are not replaceable, but I think the low price can easily offset this weakness.
Features of Philips SHP9500 HiFi Precision Stereo Over-ear Headphones:
- Exquisite open-back, over the ear design for authentic sound
- 50mm Neodymium Drivers Deliver Full Spectrum of Sound
- Angled drivers align perfectly with your ear
- Breathable ear cushion for longer wearing comfort
- Steel headband for strength and durability
- Comfortable double layered headband cushion
- 1.5m cable gives you freedom of movement for indoor use
The SHP9500 are very comfortable headphones. They have large ear cups that will easily fit around most listeners ears. They’re not too tight or heavy on the head for their size. Angled drivers align perfectly with your ear as they’re engineered to fit the ear’s natural geometry, the ear-shells offer precise and accurate sound. Audio signals are directly channeled into the ears, creating a dynamic and authentic listening experience.
A modern classic, Sennheiser’s reference class HD 800 headphones deliver sound that is as natural as possible and true in every detail.
The Sennheiser HD 800 S is a sterling, wonderful pair of headphones that strikes a near-perfect balance between accuracy and enjoyment. It has all the detail and insight you could want from an audiophile headphone but still delivers an accessible, universally enjoyable sound with a price just under $1,500.
The Sennheiser HD 800 S take the classic HD 800 and smooth off the treble slightly. It is the precise-but-sharp treble that makes the older flagship such a challenging, yet still world-class, set of headphones.
Features of Sennheiser HD 800 S Reference Headphone System:
- Further optimised reference class in wired headphones
- Open, circum-aural dynamic stereo headphones
- Enhanced sound reproduction achieved through absorber technology
- Additional cable with balanced XLR4 connector
- High-class matte black metal parts
- Natural hearing experience – realistic and natural sound field with minimal resonance
- Biggest transducers ever used in headphones including new innovative dynamic transducer design
- Uncovered earcups for enhanced acoustics
- Handcrafted ear pads, made of high-quality microfiber fabric
- Metal headband with an inner damping element
- Specially tuned balanced, impedance matching cable with low capacitance
- Special high precision headphone connectors
A couple of notes to keep in mind with respect to the HD 800 S’ practicality: these cans require a powerful amp to get the most out of them, and their open-back design means everything you listen to will be heard by the people around you.
I recognize that the Sennheiser HD 800 S isn’t a pair of headphones for everyone, but I do think that everyone should at least experience them. The price tag may be high, but in my judgment, it’s completely justified. Listening to the Sennheiser HD 800 S is a unique delight, and that’s ultimately the best reason to spend money on luxury technology.
Sony produces beautiful of headphones, and the Sony MDR-1A are among the most stylish. Sony MDR-1A offer top-notch comfort and highly enjoyable sound and they’re good value too.
The finish on the MDR-1A is also a bit more textured (stippled). These headphones comes with an enfolding design with ergonomic 3D earpads which seals music in and keeps distractions out. Acoustics are reflected back towards your ears for the subtlest of sounds.
At 7.94 ounces (225 grams) without the cable attached, the MDR-1A is also slightly lighter than the MDR-1R (240 grams), which was already considered lightweight for an over-ear model. The headphone fits snugly but not too snugly and should fit a variety of head sizes well.
Features of Sony MDR1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones:
- Hi-Res audio compatible lets you enjoy the subtlest nuances of studio-quality sound
- Over-the-ear design with foam ear cushions offer comfort during extended listening sessions
- 48 ohms impedance to efficiently conduct power
- Gold-plated plug for high-reliability connections
- The enfolding design wraps around the ear, sealing music in and keeping distractions out
- 40mm drivers deliver powerful audio
- 105dB/mW sensitivity for powerful sound
- Neodymium magnets offer sound reinforcement
The Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless is a well-designed, sturdy headphone, that folds up for more compact storage and features excellent sound over Bluetooth, as well as over a wired connection.
The Momentum Wireless has larger earcups and is more comfortable than the original Momentum. The designers also made the earcups softer.
On top of its Bluetooth capabilities (it uses Bluetooth 4.0), the Momentum Wireless also features active noise cancellation and near-field communications tap-to-pair technology for compatible devices and supports the aptX codec. Additionally, you can attach a cable and use the headphone as a wired headphone.
Features of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless Headphones:
- Bluetooth/Wireless connectivity for wire-free operation.
- Quick pairing with any NFC device.
- Impressive sound quality with detailed highs & mids. Great bass response!
- Active noise-canceling featuring Sennheiser NoiseGard technology
- Full-size closed-back earcups provide maximum comfort & isolation
- Foldable design with hard-sided travel/storage case
- VoiceMax design uses dual built-in mics for clearest voice intelligibility.
- Superb reduction of background noise for improved call clarity
- Includes auxiliary headphone cable for optional wired use
- Up to 22 hours battery life when using Bluetooth + NoiseGard features
- Stylish looks
- Unsurpassed build quality
- 22-hour battery life with both Bluetooth and Noise Gard activated
- Simple, user-friendly control scheme
- Consistent sound throughout different modes
- Bass response will be too much for some
- You can’t turn noise-cancellation off (it’s always on when you use Bluetooth)
- Little expensive
If you want the best noise canceling headphones around, this is it.
Although their design can be considered as basic or boring but their simplicity makes them versatile with top-of-the-line active-noise canceling, excellent wireless Bluetooth sound and extra-comfortable design. Works in wired mode with an included cord if the battery dies.
The Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphone adds a dedicated button for Google Assistant, but it can be programmed for other functions, too.
Features of Bose QuietComfort 35 (Series II) Wireless Headphones:
- World-class noise cancellation
- Google Assistant built-in lets you control your music and more using just your voice
- Bluetooth® and NFC pairing with voice prompts make for hassle-free wireless connections
- Lithium-ion battery lets you enjoy up to 20 hours of wireless listening per charge
- Noise-rejecting dual-microphone system provides clearer calls even in noisy environments
- The Bose® Connect app helps you set your preferred level of noise cancellation, unlock more features and access future updates
- Premium materials make them lightweight and comfortable for all-day listening
- Includes audio cable for music listening without battery power
- Also available in Silver.
Smartphones have changed the way we have been consuming media. We are connected to our smartphones throughout the day either for listening to our favourite music or watching the online videos. That would apply to our laptops or tablets.
The headphones have ceased being just an accessory for listening to the music or similar kind of media consumption. They have become more than that and choosing a good over the ear headphone has been quite a tougher task.
Unlike the in-ear devices you used to have in the past, the over the ear headphones offer you an immersive music experience. The Buying guide we present here should help you choose your headphones quite wisely.
Buying Guide for Over Ear Headphones
Headphones are not just for immersing yourself in the extra-musical experience. They have become part of your personality.
No matter whether you are checking out the high-intensity musical notes or a gaming that pumps in the adrenaline levels high – you will indeed be overwhelmed with the choices you have at your disposal. Having said that, we aim to make your task easier with the tips on how to choose the Over the Ear Headphones that meet your needs with this article.
Big or Small?
The size matters because it defines your personality. The BIG is not always great. Go for a headphone that gels well with your personality. It also depends on the need as well. People may prefer different options in terms depending on the occasion. A headphone used for working out may not work well with the environment at your work.
Choosing the one will depend on several factors. If you find portability as the prime concern, a smaller headphone would be the best choice. However, if the quality of music reigns supreme in your mind, the bigger headphones should be your prime choice.
Wired or Wireless?
Wireless Headphones will help you stay free from the tangles of cables. That would, in fact, be the right way to enjoy your favourite music and indulge in some sort of fun-filled dance movements as well. One of the most common modes of transmitting music wirelessly is through Bluetooth.
The wired headphones connect to your smartphone or source device through the cable. The wired headphones will offer you an excellent audio quality. It does not consume battery and as such would be more user-friendly. If you are opting for the wireless models, you may be forced to sacrifice some amount of quality in terms of music.
The headphones come with a few special features that may add up a little zing in your musical journey. Paying attention to these features would be quite practical enough. Check out the features for a better and learned choice.
Noise Cancellation: The noise-cancelling headphones can be the best you can opt for if you want to experience the crystal clear music without any kind of disturbance. The noise cancellation technology will ensure that the ambient noise can be minimised and the musical notes would be the best in its class.
These headphones use a microphone that detects the ambient sound and then create an opposite sound wave thereby eliminating the noise so that you can listen to your music, podcast and audiobook.
Water Resistance: The water-resistant headphones can be your best option if you are checking out the over the ear headphones for working out. The water-resistant headphones would help you out in keeping the water and sweat away.
No matter whether you are working out at the gym or moving around the park in the rains – the water-resistant headphones will still keep working without being affected by the surroundings.
If you are someone using the water-resistant music players for your musical extravaganza, the water-resistant headphones should be your best bet.
Frequency Response: Frequency Response refers to the sound range of the headphone and is measured in terms of Hertz and abbreviated as Hz. The frequency range is normally in the range of 20 Hz to 20000 Hz. The exact range of your headphone may vary from that number, but the humans can only hear the sound in the range between 20 to 20000 Hz. However, always aim to a headset that is a little slightly wider.
This would bring up the breathing space for the notes in your music. Of course, you may not be able to notice the difference if you are trying to find it out, but the effect would be understandable. Do note that each of the headphones will not have the same kind of performance. The emphasis on certain notes would be different on different headphones.
Flat and Neutral Sound Performance: You may have heard about the terminology and got confused about what exactly does that mean. The terms relate to how the music is reproduced through the headphones and how do they differ from the source. The flat version will make it possible to offer deviations as less as possible.
Some conditions may prompt users to look for an enhanced sound quality. That is precisely why an attempt is made to provide a little boost to the sound. Check out your preferences and choose the headphone that exactly meets your requirements.
Well, a buying guide like the one that we concluded cannot have a verdict or conclusion as such. If we have been of assistance to you in making a wiser decision to choose the best over the ear headphones for your requirements, our efforts have been paid off.
If you are still in doubt, you may share your thoughts with us and we will attempt addressing those concerns.